Go to Top

Worker’s Compensation

workerI recently injured myself at work, what should I do?

Following an injury you should immediately report the injury to your supervisor and complete a written report of the circumstance. Always keep a copy for your records. Always be specific with your view of the accident and seek out any witnesses, as you may need them in the future. You may seek out a Chiropractor of your choice and we recommend a Chiropractor with Chiropractic Associates of Centerville. You should provide the Chiropractor at Chiropractic Associates of Centerville with a detailed description of your job and the manner in how you were injured.

Should I file a Workers’ Compensation claim? Why can’t I bill my private insurance?

Yes, you should file a worker’ compensation claim immediately. There are a few good reasons for this; one your private insurance will not cover injuries that are work related and/or happen in a workplace environment and/or happen while you are ‘on the clock’. Two, document every injury you have as you may never know when you may have another injury, as insurances will not likely pay for undocumented injuries in the future. If you change jobs, the chances of your insurance changing is likely and they are less likely to cover problems that are pre-existing. Having a properly documented workers’ compensation claim will remain open whether you change jobs or not.

How do I file a claim?

You should obtain a First Report of Injury (FROI) form from your employer, your chiropractor at Chiropractic Associates of Centerville, or from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC). Fill out the sections titled “Injured Worker Info” and “Injury/Disease/Death Info.” Ask your chiropractor at Chiropractic Associates of Centerville to complete the “Treatment Info” section.

Provide your employer with a copy of this form. In Ohio, you must file a claim within two years of your date of injury. It is the injured worker’s responsibility to provide the BWC with sufficient information to approve your claim. Failure to do so will result in a denial of your claim. You should be prepared to provide all of your medical records and a statement from your chiropractor stating the history of your injury, your diagnosis, a treatment plan, and most importantly, whether your chiropractor feels that your injuries are related to your employment.
 Do not make the mistake of believing that your claims manager, the hearing officer, or your employer’s attorney will try to protect your rights. If you have questions about your rights, you should seek the advice of an attorney who is familiar with the workers’ compensation system. Generally, workers’ compensation attorneys offer a free initial consultation and will not charge you an attorney fee unless you receive an award under your claim.

My employer told me that I have to go to “their” doctor. Is this true? Can’t I see a chiropractor of my choice?

Do not allow your employer to mislead you. In Ohio, you have the right to seek treatment from any Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) certified medical doctor or even a chiropractor at Chiropractic Associates of Centerville or one at your choice.* There are limits, however, on what types of treatment you can receive. Your workers’ compensation claim is like having medical and disability insurance only for the conditions allowed in your BWC claim. If your chiropractor diagnoses a condition or problem that is not included in your claim allowance, this is a major issue that must be addressed by filing a motion. Further, your workers’ compensation claim will be medically managed by an MCO, who may seek to contain costs in your claim by limiting treatment. An attorney who is familiar with workers’ compensation will understand these medical and legal issues and can assist you in getting your treatment authorized and your bills paid.

 *The one exception to this rule is, If you work for an employer who is self-insured under the QHP program, you are required to see their doctor for your initial visit only. After that, you may select any BWC certified medical doctor or chiropractor.

Chiropractic Associates of Centerville with Dr. Tim Dooley and Dr Patrick O’Bryan has successfully completed workers’ compensation injuries from start to finish for 4 years and are well versed in properly documenting injuries as well as successfully treating the injuries that occur. We highly recommend the use of a chiropractic physician outside of the employer’s physician. We use attorney’s who are VERY well versed and can get you the compensation YOU deserve.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *